Monday, October 13, 2008

Update

It has been about a week since I've blogged, so I thought I'd give a quick (ok, semi quick) update to what we've been up to.

1.) Two weekends ago, Jake and I took a much needed getaway. We drove to Holly Lake Ranch,
about 30 miles north of Tyler. It was beautiful... trees, hills, lakes, wildlife... so peaceful, so quite. Of course until football comes on. :o) We spent the weekend walking the nature trails, picking pine cones (because someday I may use them in some crafty project), paddle boating on the lake, searched for alligators, napping and playing putt putt. After all that fun we sat down to watch the Texas vs. Colorado game.
Overall it was nice to spend time together, relaxing.



2.) Thursday we had my parents over for dinner. For once it was semi-normal... which for us is abnormal. However, my parents did inform me that my brother was flying back to Oregon. Apparently he has a friend there who is paying for the plane ticket and has a job for him. Interesting. This is good news, very good news. That is, if it actually happens. My family is notorious for saying something and going back on in. But, this way he can take care of his warrant (yes, he has a warrant for his arrest in Oregon... therefore he can't get a job until it is paid off or time is served) and possibly learn some responsibility.
This is also good for my parents, since they fight a lot with and about my brother and it frees up some money for them.

3.) I went to Oklahoma City this past weekend. My best friend Ashley is getting married next spring, so we went wedding dress shopping! We had a grand time trying on pretty dresses. I think she looked like a yummy cupcake in one of the dresses.

Another plus was that I got to escape the Texas vs. OU weekend, and all the madness that comes with it. The trip there and back was wonderful, mainly because traffic was flowing the opposite way and I could be a speed demon since all the cops where also sitting on the opposite side. Although, I was a little scared for my life traveling through Oklahoma after Texas upset the number 1 ranked Sooners. I was driving in Jake's truck, which if you don't know is covered in longhorn stickers. I got honked at and stared at... I also did have the urge to just hide the truck in a garage somewhere and carpool with Ashley. But I did get home safely.

4.) Sunday afternoon, after returning from OK, the Varneys, the Wilsons, and Andrew & Laurel went to the state fair! We walked around for several hours, watching people, shows and just enjoying the atmosphere. We did get to try fried guacamole (that was interesting), chicken fried bacon (YUMMY!), and a fried s'more. Jake and I walked around in search of the fried banana split, but to no avail... it was no where to be seen. So sad. We will just have to wait til next year to see what kind of fried food they will come up with next. Yes, we live in Texas alright.
We stopped at the petting zoo and saw some fun animals! Look, its George the giraffe! :o) Also, I had to put in the picture of the 4 horned goats... because they are called Jacob's 4 horned goats. Jake got very excited. He loves his name... thinks it is the best in the world. So when we saw the goats, he said they made the whole trip worth it. Yipes.




Thats all the update.

1 comment:

amy said...

I can't believe you were at Holly Lake the same time I was!! I would have totally crashed your Wilson Weekend!! It is a beautiful place, have to go back there!
And I'm so jealous you guys went to the fair! Brian and I worked outside picking up rocks and digging holes for the patio. Sad day...:( I'm so glad things have been calm and fun for you these last couple of weeks! Love you miss you!