Monday, September 22, 2008

Can I Please Get a Break?!?

Leisha Norwood asked me about my parents the other day. I told her things were about the same. She had mentioned to me that there are several people at church who are dealing with family members who have Alzheimer's. She specifically recommended Beverly Adibi (spelling?) because she might know more about getting help from associations, medicare, and things like that.

So Sunday after services, I found Beverly and told her about my dad. She asked about my mom and how she was dealing with it... I flat out told her that she was basically gone psycho (of course not in those words). She then told me something that really gave me some relief. It is semi-normal. Spouses of someone going through a big change sometime take it really hard. Yea, I know that... DUH. Well, she told me that her parents sort of reacted the same way when they first started going through Alzheimer's. *Sigh of relief* Right at that moment I felt almost normal. There is a glimmer of hope for me and my family... and we are not the only ones who are completely dysfunctional!

My little bubble was popped at about 7pm that night.
My dad called.

He wanted me to come over so we could talk. What now? Well, he started to tell me about something that happened earlier that day. My mom and dad were going somewhere. My dad was taking his time trying to get into the car, he is a little slow. My mom was impatient and started to "help" him in... by pushing him and shoving him in! What?! He didn't get to finish the story because my brother was in the room and said something like... "Oh come on."

And speaking of my brother. At one point on the phone I heard an "oomf" from my dad. I asked what had happened and he said my brother had hit his stomach... and of course my brother shouted in the background, "No... I patted your stomach". Well, I don't think a pat would knock the wind out of someone.

I want my dad out of that house!! He is not only being emotionally abused, but physically too!

I found out my mom is doing some kind of counseling on how to deal with Alzheimer's in the family, among other things. She is more then halfway through her sessions, only 3 more left, and I don't think it has changed a thing!

Jake was in the car with me when I was talking to my dad. I explained everything to him and he said if I wanted to move my dad in with us. Well, I'd like that more then him staying with my mom! So he told me to call Alzheimer's Association or someone like that to find out about hospice care. So that it kind of my plan today. Just to call and find info about different options.

I was thinking about all the things that need to be done if my dad was to live with us. Man, that would be rough. Our house has a bad floor plan for that. All our bedrooms are upstairs along with the showers. It would be rough for him to walk up and down. He needs rails in the tub to help him in and out. We would need to be getting some extra money to help support him... we struggle with out food budget with just us two. My mom would resent me for forever. What about my brother? They probably be coming over all the time.

I don't know. I don't even know if he wants to live with us. He was a little hesitant when I mentioned it the other day. And I don't even know everything that happened. So I guess I just have to wait and see what he has to tell me. Jake and I are planning a trip up there today. He isn't letting me go on my own... which is probably pretty smart.

Well, at least I got that little break of 7 hours thinking that my life was semi-normal!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Tanya, I have ZERO experience with this so I have no answers, but I just want you to know that I am praying that God will give you all the answers you need--to the housing situation, financial expense, fallout with your mom--I know this seems like cold comfort but I just don't know what to say. I'm sorry that all of this is falling on your shoulders and just want you to feel the power of prayer covering you.

Rachel said...

Tanya,
I just don't know how you do this!! We pray for you guys all the time because we know how hard it is just to get from day to day with all of these burdens being piled on top of eachother and burying you at the bottom! let us know if there is anything we can do to help.