Monday, September 8, 2008

Do Re Me Fa So La Te Do

We started Growth Groups (small groups) for church last night. This year we have a different array of topic groups. After doing "enie minie," Jake and I chose to be a part of the Singing/Devotional group. I was really excited about our decision. I love to singing! At OSU (that would be Oregon State University) our campus college group would go out onto campus at night and sing. We'd stay there for several hours and I would be the one shouting out the numbers of the next song.
Now, saying that... I am NOT a great singer. I wouldn't even say good. Decent. Decent is a good word. And Jake, yea...decent. So, mainly I am expecting to go into our growth group and have a good time, fellowship, and be uplifted by devotional songs. That did happen Sunday night, but so did some other things I didn't expect.
We got to the Norwood's house and packed in their living room. After everyone arrived, Tom split us up into sections (Bass, Tenor, Alto, and Soprano). I look over at Jake and he is shaking his head. He doesn't think he sings well so he is mouthing to me that I can stay in this group and he will go to another growth group. Me, being the supportive wife, answer back "What?! You want to sing a solo? Ok, I will tell Tom." :o) He loved that. Anywho, he was nervous... I was not. I love singing!
So we started a couple songs. I sat next to the beautiful Aud Lugo so I could hear her wonderful alto voice (even though she normally sings soprano). About half way through the song I started thinking... man, I kinda suck. I don't know ANY of the alto parts. Then I got to thinking... I don't know very many alto parts at all. What do I do during morning worship? Well... I sing the melody (which is usually the soprano part) but sing it in a lower key... almost like a tenor. I just follow what Tom does. Man, he is too good of a worship leader.
So I didn't sing much. I tried learning the alto part, but it was hard since I sat next to the tenors and I could hear the sopranos clearly from across the living room. But, it will be nice learning the different parts to sing during worship. Well, at least I am still being lifted up, that is all the matters... right? :o)

1 comment:

amy said...

I'm so proud of you guys for choosing that group! Everyone will be blessed because you guys are there! Love you, thanks for sharing the Varneys with us this weekend!