Monday, August 18, 2008

Weekend Escape

This weekend Jake and I took a quick trip to Oregon for a friend's wedding.
We had a really good time visiting old friends and my family. We stayed at my sister's in Keizer. Keizer is a suburb of Salem, the state capital. It is also about 15 minutes away from Woodburn, the town I grew up in. As we hung out in Keizer for most of the weekend, Jake and I noticed how nice a slow things are there. Arlington technically isn't a very large city and may not be as fast paced as someplace like New York but I still feel like we live in the fast lane. So, it was a nice change of pace. Plus, I love soaking up Oregon fresh air, the trees, and the beautiful mountains.
I got a chance to hang out with one of my really good friends from middle and high school, Amanda.

Amanda and I have been planning on getting tattoos together (yes I know they are permanent!). So, last Saturday we finally did! And let me tell you... it hurt. Technically it is not my first but this time, it was on my foot! At first, it was like... ok, this isn't all that bad. Then it became like, oh... Oh... OH!

Ladybug!

So after our tattoos, Jake and I drove out to Green Peter's Reservoir to meet my sister and her family on their boat. Oh, I was so nice to be able to be out on a boat again! A lot of my great childhood memories are from being out on the lake with the boat. It felt like we went out every weekend during the summer. Anywho... Jake and I got to take a ride on the intertube (even though I am not supposed to get my tat wet... oops). Here is Jake with my nephew Nathan.

And when I say lake... this is what I think of lake being like.... Beautiful mountains trees and deep clear waters.

So while we were staying with my sister (half sister- from my dad's previous marriage, for those of you thinking... Tanya doesn't have sisters!), we updated her on all the family stuff. We also made sure to tell them NOT to lend my parents any money, which my dad had already called her the previous day asking for some. That is the last thing my parents need... not because they don't need the money, they do, but it isn't going to teach them anything. They've already borrowed a lot of money from people before and they just go on getting themselves into debt, they don't change. So, my sister said no and I don't think my dad is very happy. Actually, he is not very happy with me.

I called earlier today and I think I overheard him trying to convince my mom not to give him the phone. It really doesn't bother me too much because I know we are doing to right thing. They need to learn to make it on their own... the right way. I think the next step is to teach my mom how to grocery shop, funny thought hu? I just don't understand why you would buy something like honey oat, whole wheat bread when you only have the money to buy the store brand white bread.

As far as my mom, I've just been trying to keep my distance and the topic of conversation off of finances. But thanks to everyone who's called and emailed me about it. I really appreciate the support, even if the words do make me cry! :o)

2 comments:

amy said...

I'm so glad you're back! Though, I would have had trouble leaving such a pretty place! Our lakes just don't compare! Nice tat too!!! I mean, also...

Andrea said...

You are braver than me--a needle in the foot?? Ewwww! I didn't know you were gone since we were gone ourselves but I have to admit, as much as I love Argyle (or at least the reason for going to Argyle), it's got NOTHIN' on Oregon! We drove through Oregon when I was younger and I still remember vividly how all of us in the car could not stop ooohing and aaahing over the breathtaking scenery.